One of the headlines on the AOL Welcome screen today read, "Father of Bristol Palin's Baby Shoots Down Rumors." I can't possibly be the only person who read that and wondered if he did it from a helicopter.
Ok, with that off my chest, now for the real topic. Regular readers may remember I love movie quotes, and though it's not among my favorites, this one has got me thinking:
"I believe in the soul ... the small of a woman's back, the hanging curveball, high fiber, good scotch, that the novels of Susan Sontag are self-indulgent, overrated crap. I believe Lee Harvey Oswald acted alone. I believe there ought to be a constitutional amendment outlawing Astroturf and the designated hitter. I believe in the sweet spot, soft-core pornography, opening your presents Christmas morning rather than Christmas Eve, and I believe in long, slow, deep, soft, wet kisses that last three days." (Crash Davis [Kevin Costner], "Bull Durham," 1988)
Ok, so I'm not Kevin Costner. There are still a few things I believe in and, for whatever it may be worth, this seemed no worse a time than any other to compile them. In no particular order:
1. Small pieces of birthday cake are a waste of everyone's time.
2. The vast majority of mankind's problems eventually trace back to some form of trying to get something for nothing.
3. I want what's mine, and I don't want what's not mine.
4. I don't accept pieces of paper that someone in the street tries to hand me, regardless of how they're dressed. Similarly, I don't speak to people with clipboards who try to stop me in the street.
5. Love is like any other form of comedy: it's all in the timing.
6. Love, friendship and other forms of familiarity are not an excuse for discourteous behavior.
7. ALWAYS buy a handmade poppy when you see a veteran selling them for donations.
8. The secret to a successful long-term relationship is this: do whatever you have to do never to find out what your spouse talks about with his/her best friend.
9. I believe in charitable giving. Just not at traffic lights.
10. When we find ourselves trying to decide how far we're willing to go in treating a segment of society like human beings, it's time to stop and take a deep breath.
11. The people who make the biggest show of saying they don't take crap from people are usually the ones who make it a point to give other people the most crap.
12. There's a special place in heaven waiting for seeing-eye dogs and other animals whose entire existence is devoted to service.
13. There's a very hot place in hell waiting for the guy who invented the four-way traffic stop. (Someone I mentioned this to suggested traffic circles too, but in Jersey we're just used to those.)
14. Someday they're going to give a Nobel Prize for baking, and it's going to go to the guy who invented parchment.
So what do you believe?